Work Group Outline
The focus of this Work Group is on discovering pedagogical approaches to teaching A level Mathematics that will actively engage students in the learning process and support their conceptual understanding. It is intended that the Work Group participants develop as expert teachers and that they will be able to deliver professional development in their own school or college following the course.
The project involves a direct working partnership between the Maths Hubs Network and the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme (AMSP).
Who can take part?
The Work Group is suitable for current teachers of A level mathematics who wish to further develop their pedagogy in A level teaching and who will, in turn, support other colleagues in their own schools/colleges. It is ideal for KS5 coordinators but equally open to teachers with experience of teaching A level Mathematics.
Teachers who will find this Work Group particularly useful include those who may have already completed other A level subject knowledge and pedagogy courses (such as Teaching A level Mathematics (TAM) or Preparing to Teach A level Mathematics), and who are able to work with other colleagues in their own or other schools.
What is involved?
The Work Groups meet over the course of the academic year and typically undertake three days (or equivalent) of direct meeting time. However, this may be adapted to suit the needs of the group, and could be three full day face-to-face sessions, up to six part-day/twilight sessions, or a blended mix of face-to-face and online meetings. Participants will be expected, where appropriate, to work with colleagues in their own department.
Work Groups will be designed to meet the specific needs of the range of experience of participants.
What will you learn?
Participants and their departments will:
- be better able to prepare lessons that support the overarching themes (including the use of technology) of the 2017 A level specification.
- identify pedagogies that enable the student to be an active learner, both in and out of the classroom.
- identify appropriate uses of technology to be used both by the teacher and the student to support active learning.
- address any particular pedagogies that will support Covid recovery.
- collaborate with teachers from other schools/colleges with experience of teaching A level Maths.
- support colleagues in their own school/college in embedding themes from the Work Group.
What is the cost?
The Developing A Level Pedagogy project is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme and the AMSP so is free to participating schools/colleges.
How to enquire?
Please complete the expression of interest form below. Please note that this is not a confirmed booking, just an enquiry.
We will be in touch with you again with further information and dates to book onto the Work Group in the Autumn Term.