Primary focus for 2021/22: Core Maths pedagogy to support Covid recovery
These Work Groups give teachers opportunities, through collaboration and experimentation, to develop improved teaching approaches that support the open-ended problem-solving skills Core Maths students need to develop, and to share these with departmental colleagues. Participant departments will support the role of Core Maths in promoting contextualised problem-solving and links to teaching in other subject areas.
The project involves a direct working partnership between the Maths Hubs Network and the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme (AMSP).
Who can take part?
Lead participants in these Work Groups will be experienced and developing teachers of Core Maths. These may be teachers in post-16 settings whose main subject is maths or whose main subject is not maths. This Work Group is for schools and colleges in at least their second year of teaching Core Maths. Lead participants will be expected, where appropriate, to work with colleagues in their own department.
What is involved?
Work Groups will be either online or a blended mix of face-to-face and online meetings with three days (or equivalent) of direct Work Group workshop time.
Work Groups will be designed to meet the specific needs of the lead participants.
What will you learn?
Participants and their departments will:
- disseminate information or lead professional development on Core Maths pedagogy with their departments
- support their school/college in developing clear ways of communicating and promoting its Core Maths offer
- support the role of Core Maths in promoting contextualised problem-solving within GCSE Maths
- share approaches to the planning and delivery of the Core Maths curriculum
- apply related pedagogical approaches in their Core Maths teaching to support Covid recovery
- understand the philosophy of Core Maths, with its approach to maths through contextualised problem-solving.
What is the cost?
The Developing Core Maths Pedagogy project is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme and the AMSP so is free to participating schools/colleges.
How to enquire?
Please complete the expression of interest form below. Please note that this is not a confirmed booking, just an enquiry.
We will be in touch with you again with further information and dates to book onto the Work Group in the Autumn Term.