We are seeking an innovative, strategic and organised individual for the role of Joint Secondary Teaching for Mastery Maths Hub Lead to join the Matrix Herts Maths Hub for 1 day per week in 2021-22. This is a fixed term post for one year.
You would be jointly responsible for leading the work of the Secondary elements of the Hub, including developing plans, quality assuring and evaluating Work Groups in consultation with a range of stakeholders plus overseeing and coordinating the work of the Secondary Mastery specialists, alongside our established and experienced Secondary Maths Hub Lead.
The role’s main responsibilities are as shown below.
Secondary Teaching for Mastery Lead
The purpose of this role is to provide oversight of teaching for mastery in secondary schools across the Matrix Maths Hub area, by leading, developing, and providing expertise for this aspect of the hub’s work.
Leadership and management team
- Work with the MHLM team to plan how the hub addresses the strategic goal for secondary schools.
- Participating in MHLM team meetings.
- Regularly updating MHL on work progress.
Strategic boards and partnerships
- Identifying leading TfM schools as potential influencers.
- Reporting to the Strategic Board, as required.
Local Leaders of Mathematics Education (LLME)
- Working with the MHL to identify, recruit and appoint future Mastery Specialists.
- Providing support to Mastery Specialists and other Work Group Leads through identifying need, planning, facilitating and evaluating professional development.
- Nurturing relationships with Mastery Specialist schools, especially Head Teachers and Heads of Department, to secure sustained commitment to TfM.
- Supporting Mastery Specialists during the development years of their programme (Years 1 and 2) including reviewing gap tasks, completion of the PD Lead accreditation and developing strategies for developing their own department.
- Supporting Mastery Specialists during the Year 3 of their programme (and beyond) when they are acting as WGLs including strategies for supporting the PD of other teachers and supporting departmental developments in other schools.
Planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Overseeing and co-ordinating the work of Mastery Specialists including planning Work Group activity.
- Managing the deployment of the Mastery Specialist team.
- Overseeing other secondary Work Groups and the work of other secondary Work Group Leads.
- Co-ordinating progress reports from Mastery Specialists and other Work Group Leads.
- Co-ordinating China England programme (if applicable).
- Planning for developments within secondary provision.
- Participating in the Secondary TfM Leads peer review process.
- Supporting all specialists and other Work Group Leads through the evaluation process.
Communication, engagement, and recruitment
- Working with school leaders to ensure sustained participation in the Maths Hub offer.
- Identifying schools suitable for participation in the Maths Hub’s secondary programme.
- Working with the MHL to recruit WG schools.
- Communicating with and influencing HTs and Heads of Department to consider adopting TfM within their schools.
Finance and data management
- Having an understanding and knowledge of the payments made to specialists and schools.
Working with Maths Hub Network, NCETM and DFE
- Participating in Secondary TfML forums and the online community.
- Collaborating with other Secondary TfMLs across the network.
The successful candidate will need a passion for mathematics with a drive to support others to develop a maths curriculum and education that empowers our children to be the best in the world; a deep subject knowledge of secondary mathematics and a deep understanding of mathematics teaching for mastery in secondary schools; experience of leading mathematics in a secondary school.
If you are that capable, organised and enthusiastic person we would really like to hear from you. Training is provided and the NCETM will provide all the help and direction you may need as well as lots of support from us.