Primary focus for 2021/22: Core Maths pedagogy
The purpose of this programme is to support teachers who are new to teaching Core Maths in developing specialist knowledge for teaching Core Maths and to increase their confidence in teaching the course.
The programme has a primary focus on Core Maths subject knowledge and pedagogy and will be based on these six key themes which are common to all the Core Maths specifications:
- Using contextualised problem-solving
- Applying Fermi estimation and modelling
- Developing critical analysis
- Making sense of finance
- Using the pre-release materials
- Exploring statistics.
Technology and online teaching will be underlying themes throughout the programme.
This project involves a direct working partnership between the Maths Hubs Network and the Advanced Mathematics Support Programme (AMSP).
Who can take part?
This programme is for teachers who are new to teaching Core Maths for the first time and are teaching a Core Maths class during the Autumn and Spring terms of 2021 and 2022.
What is involved?
There will be three days (or equivalent) of direct meeting time. However, this may be adapted to suit the needs of the group, and could be three full day face-to-face sessions, six part-day/twilight sessions, or a blended mix of face-to-face and online meetings. Workshops will take place during the Autumn (2021) and Spring (2022) terms.
What will you learn?
- apply related pedagogical approaches in their Core Maths teaching
- plan sequences of lessons to promote student understanding, confidence, and progress
- effectively teach some mathematical concepts and processes through contextualised problem-solving
- understand the philosophy of Core Maths, with its approach to maths through contextualised problem-solving
- develop their subject knowledge in these six areas: Contextualised problem solving; Fermi estimation and modelling; Critical analysis; Finance; Pre-release materials; Statistics
- develop their understanding of how online learning and technology can be used to support Core Maths teaching.
What is the cost?
The New to Teaching Core Maths project is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme and the AMSP so is free to participating schools/colleges.
How to enquire?
Please complete the expression of interest form below. Please note that this is not a confirmed booking, just an enquiry.
We will be in touch with you again with further information and dates to book onto the Work Group in the Autumn Term.