‘The most important maths that teachers do, is to plan lessons.’
Yet we rarely have the opportunity to be explicitly taught how to do this. This collaborative Work Group will include the following sessions (with gap tasks in-between):
- Tuesday Nov 20th 2018 – 1 Full day introductory session at Wroxham School, Potters Bar.
- 23rd Jan 2019 – Morning attendance at Shanghai showcase lesson at Windhill Primary, Bishops Stortford, followed by an afternoon session to discuss what we have observed and how to apply it to our own practice.
- Tuesday June 25th- 1 Full day session at Wroxham School to evaluate outcomes and produce case studies.
The intended outcomes of this Work Group include:
Professional Learning – Teachers will:
- have a deep understanding of the elements of effective lesson design
- develop their understanding of the big ideas in mastery and how they are found and used in effective lesson design
- be able to make reasoned decisions about what to include (and what not to include) in lessons
- identify what needs to be developed to supplement the information in the published materials
Teaching and/or leadership practice – Teachers will:
- be confident in producing planning for small steps in learning
- share good practice in effective lesson design with other teachers in their school
Whole school/ departmental policies and approaches
- Practice developed and shared through engagement in the project, will influence planning policy in the school
Pupil achievement, attitudes, participation or experience –
- The impact of small steps in planning will be seen in progress in children’s books
This CPD is free to attend
To book a place, visit our website www.matrixmathshub.co.uk
Follow us on twitter @matrixmathshub