Work Group Outline
We are keen to establish a Hertfordshire and Harlow based Work Group to strengthen our links with ITE providers and we need to hear your views. The aim of the group is to:
- support sustained best practice networks between ITE providers and Matrix Herts Maths hub with a focus on teaching for mastery.
- support our Matrix Herts maths hub team in identifying the mathematical needs of early career teachers and tailoring our support accordingly.
Who can take part?
Participants will be those directly involved in ITE with a responsibility for maths, including those from HEI, SCITT and School Direct.
What is involved?
At the initial exploratory meeting you will
- Meet the Maths Hub Team
- Find out about NCETM, the maths hub programme, and support on offer for teachers
- Tell us how we can best support you and your trainees
- Build relationships with other ITE providers.
Subsequent sessions will be tailored according to be useful for you:
- local network meetings that review principles of teaching for mastery, share ITE units, adapt them for local use, and review where they sit in the institution’s maths programme
- developing the expertise of mentors to support trainees in mastery-related maths lesson design
- observation of Mastery Specialists’ lessons with follow up discussions about the mastery principles in order to identify specific developments for the overall ITE maths programme in light of current school-based practice.
What will you learn?
Participants and their institutions will:
- deepen understanding of, and involvement in, the work of their local Maths Hub and the Maths Hubs Network, along with their knowledge of the principles of teaching for mastery and how they relate to classroom practice
- review practices and programmes, aiming to ensure trainees have some understanding of lesson design informed by mastery principles
- develop planning which includes reference to the principles of teaching for mastery and is further enhanced by opportunities to observe Mastery Specialists’ lessons with a follow up discussion.
What is the cost?
The Strengthening Partnerships with ITE Providers project is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme so is free to participating institutions.
Please complete the booking form below to reserve a space on the Work Group: