Privacy Notice: Maths Hubs
This work is being carried out by Matrix Maths Hub (based at The Hertfordshire & Essex High School), which holds a grant with the Department for Education (DfE). For the purpose of data protection legislation, the DfE is the data controller and Mr Ian Chapman is the data processor for the personal data processed as part of the Maths Hubs programme.
How we will use your information
Matrix Maths Hub (based at The Hertfordshire & Essex High School) collects and processes your personal data on behalf of the DfE for the following purposes:
- To enable Matrix Maths Hub to carry out specific functions for which they are responsible;
- To enable Matrix Maths Hub to correspond with you about any Maths Hub project you have registered for;
- To enable Matrix Maths Hub to send you information on CPD opportunities offered by Maths Hubs;
- To evaluate and assess performance of Maths Hub projects;
- To derive statistics which inform programme funding and strategic decisions about Maths Hubs and Teaching for Mastery within DfE, NCETM and Matrix Maths Hub (based at The Hertfordshire & Essex High School);
More information about this work is available at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/get- support-from-your-local-maths-hub, http://www.mathshubs.org.uk/, http://www.matrixmathshub.co.uk and https://www.ncetm.org.uk/.
The nature of your personal data we will be using
The categories of your personal data that Matrix Maths Hub (based at The Hertfordshire & Essex High School) will collect, process, hold and share for this project may include all of the following:
- Date of Birth;
- Contact information such as email address and phone number;
- National Insurance Number;
- Job title;
- DBS records;
- Education and employment history;
- Bank details;
- Pay and pension (including tax details);
- Medical records;
- Membership details;
- School and student identification numbers;
- Photo proof of identification;
- Emergency contact details for staff.
Why our use of your personal data is lawful
In order for our use of your personal data to be lawful, we need to meet one (or more) conditions in the data protection legislation. For the purpose of the Maths Hubs and Teaching for Mastery programmes, processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest, as defined in Article 6 (1)(e) of the GDPR.
Who we will make your personal data available to
We sometimes need to make personal data available to other organisations. These might include contracted partners (who we have employed to process your personal data on our behalf) and/or other organisations (with whom we need to share your personal data for specific purposes).
Where we need to share your personal data with others, we ensure that this data sharing complies with data protection legislation. For the purpose of the Maths Hubs programme:
- the NCETM (National Centre for Excellence in the Teaching of Mathematics), with whom the DfE holds a contract to coordinate and manage the Maths Hubs programme, is a data processor;
- Maths Hubs, with whom the DfE holds individual grants with each Maths Hub Lead School to carry out activities aligned with the aims of the Maths Hubs programme, are data processors.
As such, personal data collected by Maths Hubs that is relevant to the successful coordination and delivery of the Maths Hubs programme will be shared with the DfE, the NCETM, and other Maths Hub Lead Schools. Such data may also be shared with an independent evaluator of the Maths Hubs programme and Teaching for Mastery programme.
The DfE reserves the right to share your personal data with new Lead Schools where additional Maths Hubs are appointed or where a Lead School is de-designated and Lead School status is transferred. The DfE also reserves the right to share your personal data with any organisation or consortium that holds a future contract with the DfE to coordinate and manage the Maths Hubs programme.
Transfer to Countries Outside the European Union
Your personal data will not be transferred outside of United Kingdom or the European Union.
How long we will keep your personal data
The DfE will only keep your personal data for the lifetime of the Maths Hubs programme and, where relevant, Teaching for Mastery programme plus 6 months, after which point it will be securely destroyed. Please note that, under Data Protection legislation, and in compliance with the relevant data processing conditions, personal data can be kept for longer periods of time when processed purely for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research, and statistical purposes.
Your data protection rights
Under certain circumstances, you have the right:
- to ask us for access to information about you that we hold
- to have your personal data rectified, if it is inaccurate or incomplete
- to request the deletion or removal of personal data where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing
- to restrict our processing of your personal data (i.e. permitting its storage but no further processing)
- to object to direct marketing (including profiling) and processing for the purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics
- not to be subject to decisions based purely on automated processing where it produces a legal or similarly significant effect on you
If you need to contact Matrix Maths Hub (based at The Hertfordshire & Essex High
School) regarding any of the above, please do so via
Further information about your data protection rights appears on the Information Commissioner’s website at: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-data- protection/principle-6-rights/.
Withdrawal of consent and the right to lodge a complaint
Where we are processing your personal data with your consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent. If you change your mind, or you are unhappy with our use of your personal data, please let us know by contacting Helen.firstname.lastname@example.org stating the name of this project. Alternatively, you have the right to raise any concerns with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) via their website at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/.
We may need to update this privacy notice periodically so we recommend that you revisit this information from time to time. This version was last updated on 21 May 2019.
If you have any questions about how your personal information will be used, please contact Mr Ian Chapman, The Hertfordshire & Essex High School, Bishops Stortford, Hertfordshire, CM23 5NJ or via email@example.com and enter “Attention Mr Ian Chapman – Maths Hub” as a reference. For the DfE’s Data Protection Officer (DPO), please contact us via gov.uk and mark it for the attention of the ‘DPO’.