This programme is designed to support non-specialist teachers teaching maths in a secondary school in developing specialist knowledge for teaching mathematics, thus enabling them to understand, teach and support pupils in maths in the classroom.
Who can take part? * eligibility criteria has changed to be more open to other teachers *
This is available to any non-specialist teacher of mathematics, so a teacher in a state-funded school or college that is currently teaching some mathematics or has commitment from a headteacher/executive head to teach some mathematics within the next year, who has not undertaken Initial Teacher Training (ITT) in mathematics.
This can include:
- non-specialist QTS qualified teacher with an active commitment from their school to teach maths within the next year.
- non-specialist non-QTS teacher with an active commitment from their school to teach maths within the next academic year.
- overseas-trained maths teacher (from EEA or big 4) with:
- QTS status obtained through the mutual recognition route
- Resident in the UK and eligible to work in England
- Have an approved teaching post in a secondary school or college with commitment from their new school to complete SKTM.
What is involved?
The programme is aligned to the NCETM teaching for mastery pedagogy and is based on six key themes:
- Structure of the number system
- Operating on number
- Multiplicative reasoning
- Sequences and graphs
- Statistics and probability
Participants will explore these themes, supported by an experienced secondary practitioner.
What will you learn?
- explore and increase their use of a range of pedagogic approaches consistent with teaching for mastery
- increase their confidence in planning for progression in maths
- improve their subject and curriculum knowledge of secondary maths with a particular emphasis on mathematical structures in key areas.
What is the cost?
The SKTM Secondary Non-specialist programme is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme so is free to participating schools.
Expression of Interest form below for 2022-2023 :
As the Programme has already started, to express an interest in attending the SKTM Secondary Non-specialist Teachers Programme in 2022-2023, please complete the form below: