Work Group Outline
This objective of this work group is to develop capacity within schools to deliver GCSE at Higher Tier.
It is aimed at staff and other adults who are delivering Higher Tier content, possibly for the first time. The intention of each meeting will be to:
- select an area of the specification (e.g. algebra) and three or four topics within that;
- outline possible teaching approaches;
- detail pre-requisite knowledge and understanding, and identify possible misconceptions;
- model how IT can be used productively to support the teaching of these topics; and
- discuss blended and online approaches which could be used, to support student learning during the Covid crisis.
Between meetings, participants will be expected to trial approaches, discuss selected approaches and strategies with colleagues (including at department meetings) and report back to the group on their experiences.
What is involved?
There will be four face-to-face (or online) meetings, each lasting 3 hours, with school-based tasks in between.
Who can apply?
- Staff who are new to teaching Higher Tier, and who would benefit from a subject knowledge ‘boost’.
- Other adults in school (for example, HLTAs or intervention teachers) involved in delivering Higher Tier content
- Teachers from overseas, including experienced teachers, who would benefit from support in teaching Higher Tier content
What is the cost?
This work group is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme, so is free to participating schools.
To book your place on this Work Group, please complete the form below: