Addressing the challenges that hinder a successful transition from GCSE to A level mathematics, and discussing strategies that can be used to improve the progression from KS4 to KS5.
We have run this Work Group for a year and would welcome any newcomers to join us for our sessions in 2023-24.
What is involved?
This RIWG will seek innovation in:
- Exploring and developing common structures, language and representations between KS4 and KS5.
- Exploring strands of a 10 – 13 curriculum model to smooth progress from KS4 to KS5.
The group will use extensive data gathered from Year 11 and Year 12 students responding to surveys in May 2022.
This Work Group is one of a range of options provided by the NCETM to support teaching and learning at Post 16. It will develop a strong local network of schools who will collaborate to deliver the best possible outcomes for our students.
Meetings will be both in person and online and we aim to meet 4 times over the year (2 x half day F2F and 2 x online twilight)
Who can take part?
This Work Group is for teachers working with students at both Key Stage 4 and 5 in secondary schools in Hertfordshire.
Participants and their departments will:
- Have a better awareness of the issues surrounding transition from KS4 to KS5 and be able to support student transition more effectively.
- Work more closely with other schools and phases to support transition.
- Improve staff and student confidence in understanding the ‘jump’ from GCSE to A Level.
- Encourage all students, for whom it is appropriate to study A level maths, to take up A level Maths, including for underrepresented groups
What is the cost?
The Work Group is fully funded by the Maths Hubs Programme, so is free to participating schools.
To book for 2023/24, please complete the form below:
RIWG_23B Transition from KS4 to KS5 Maths Research and Innovation Work Group
Please complete the details below
"*" indicates required fields
2023/24 WORK GROUP DATES
Thursday 9th November 2023
2pm to 4pm
Townsend Church of England School
High Oaks, St Albans AL3 6DR
Tuesday 23rd January 2023
9am to 12pm
The Ridgeway, St Albans AL4 9NX
Wednesday 6th March 2024
4pm to 5pm